Jan 1-March 31 for Summer/July issue
April 1-June 30 for Autumn/October issue
July 1-Sept 30 for Winter/January issue
Oct 1-Dec 31 for Spring/April issue
- Our submission fees exist solely to fund our work. 100% of all fees go to paying artists and maintaining our online presence (meaning Submittable and website fees). All staff work on a volunteer basis.
- Currently we accept 500 free submissions per month. If free submissions are not listed below, that means we have reached our 500 maximum; please try again on the first of the next month, when our allowance of 500 is renewed.
- We only accept unpublished work that has not appeared in any publicly-accessible form previously, including online.
- Language: English. We welcome written works that engage culture through languages other than English if the majority of the piece is in English. We do not publish translations in any form. Epigraphs in other languages are fine as long as the piece provides a translation or sufficient context to appreciate the text.
- Simultaneous submissions are encouraged provided you message us on Submittable if you need to withdraw a piece.
- We purchase First North American Serial and First Anthology rights (for the annual print anthology). Payment is US $100 per piece, delivered on publication. We only issue payments via Paypal. Authors will also receive one copy of the annual print anthology consisting of the four seasonal issues, released each summer.
- We will not publish work that seems to us offensive or which exhibits hatred directed towards a particular gender, race, ethnicity, ability, sexual identity, socioeconomic class, or other status, regardless of whether it is protected by law.
- We never solicit submissions—all come through Submittable.
- We notify all artists of their status within 30 days. If it takes longer, we will refund your submission fee (but still consider your work).
- Please do not submit new work until you have received a response to your initial submission. As long as you have received a reply to your previous submission, you may submit again as often as you wish.
- If you have work that doesn’t fit neatly into the below categories, that doesn’t mean we won’t want to see it. Choose the most appropriate and include a note—we’ll figure it out.
Fiction: Submit one piece of no more than 5000 words, single-spaced throughout. Include word count in header. Fiction works should stand alone and not be excerpts of a longer work.
Creative Nonfiction: Submit one piece of no more than 5000 words, single-spaced throughout. Include word count in header. Nonfiction works should stand alone and not be excerpts of a longer work.
Essay: We are interested in pieces that examine the state of art (defined broadly) and culture in the world today as well as the past. Please submit one piece of no more than 5000 words, single-spaced throughout. Include word count in header. No academic essays, please.
Poetry: Submit up to six poems in one document. Length and format are open. Poems should be single-spaced. Begin each poem on a new page, and clearly indicate when a poem extends beyond one page. There are no absolute length limits, but remember that the longer a poem, the better it has to be.
Fiction: Submit 1-4 pieces as long as the entire submission is less than 1000 words, single-spaced throughout. Include word count(s) in header.
Poetry: Submit up to three poems, each of one page or less, in one document. The poems should be single-spaced. We accept longer work and up to six poems through our paid submissions.
Visual Art/Photography: Submit up to twenty images, which must be of publishable quality. We encourage, but do not require, illustrative titles to contextualize submitted media. If you work in poetic hybrid forms of image + text, please use this category to submit.